Environment Corner September 2019
For this month we are considering use of water. Our water system is overstretched and we are facing shortages by 2050 unless we save water fast – according to the UK Environment Agency.
There are simple measures we can take to contribute to saving water.
• Save 6 litres of water a minute by turning off your tap while you brush your teeth.
• Save water, money and energy by only boiling as many cups of water as you need.
• Consider if you could spend less time in the shower. Every minute in a power shower uses up to 17 litres of water.
• Washing a full machine load of clothes uses less water and energy than 2 half-loads.
• Water outdoor plants in the early morning or at the end of the day to stop water immediately evaporating in sunlight and heat.
• If you use a dishwasher, fill it up completely each time you run it and you’ll use less water than you would doing the dishes by hand.
The Friends of the Earth website is a useful source of further information for water saving ideas. www.friendsoftheearth.uk